Skip to content

Mt Moriac Cemetery

Mt Moriac Cemetery

Reservoir Road, Mt. Moriac

The Mt. Moriac Cemetery is a large cemetery reserve, with many early and recent graves.

In March 1865, the Victorian Government Gazette reported the ‘Mount Moriac Public Cemetery’ was the new name for the previously, and confusingly, known as ‘Duneed (Mount Moriac) Cemetery’.  With hindsight it is still difficult to understand how these names – Mount Moriac and Mount Duneed – could be so confused given the two small farming villages were fifteen kilometres apart, located in different shires and managed by different civic and religious leaders.

The first trustees of the Mount Moriac Cemetery were P N Trebeck, Michael Minter, J Ryan, William Marnell, Donald McLean, Ben. Tindale and David Yates.  They were appointed in October 1857.

Click here to view our Brochure.

WordPress Video Lightbox